Tuesday, September 19, 2017
   
Text Size

New football season postponed due to Hurricane Irma

PDFPrintE-mail

RokStories

Football-DelayedBasseterre, Monday, 11th September, 2017, (MyVueNews.com) - Though St. Kitts & Nevis was spared major destruction from the recent passage of Hurricane Irma, the storm however did disrupt normal life on the islands, and in all areas, including sports.

 

The St. Kitts & Nevis Football Association, for instance, has announced that the 2017-2018 Football Season has been postponed, after consultation with the association’s Competitions Committee and senior executives, including the President.

 

The General Secretary of the SKNFA, Stanley jacobs, confirmed on Monday, (11th September) that “This decision was reached after careful consideration of many factors…”

 

These, he said included, but were not limited to:

 

Disruption in work days due to 2 hurricanes, which caused the FA to fall behind in finalizing the Rules; Scheduling of meetings with clubs to discuss said Rules; Meetings with the Referees Association; Limited time to properly advertise the matches; Carrying out inspection of Warner Park Stadium after the storms and; Pending meetings with the Ministry of Sports.

 

It has been decided that the President's Cup will now open on 23rd September, while the commencement of the Premier League is set for 30th September.

 

The SKNFA official explained that “they believed to have proceeded with the dates previously planned, would have put the FA resources under significant stress. 

 

“By postponing the start of the league for one week will give the FA time to address the matters above and be in a better position to start the 2017-2018 season to a very high standard,” said the association.

 

They assured that the SKNFA’s Secretariat will formally notify all concerned regarding the new developments and the Competitions Committee will make the necessary changes to the fixture.



blog comments powered by Disqus

TOP HEADLINES

  • Barbuda to benefit from UAE solar plant The Barbuda people will be handed a new US$3.1 million solar plant as its creation will coincide with the rebuilding of the disaster-ravaged island. Tweet ...
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3

Login