Sunday, December 17, 2017
   
Text Size

Still uncertainty about Mugabe’s future

PDFPrintE-mail

RokStories

Mugabe-and-GraceBasseterre, St. Kitts, Thursday, 16th November, 2017 (MyVueNews.com) – The political crisis in the African nation of Zimbabwe continues today with no clear indication about the future of President Robert Mugabe’s administration.

Mugabe, who was the leading figure in the country’s struggle for independence in the 1970s, has been the president since 1980, when they managed to rid themselves of the oppressive colonial white regime that often terrorized the black population.

Now, 37 years after gaining control of the country, Mugabe, who is 93 years old, seems to be on his way out. His wife, Grace Mugabe, has been quoted as suggesting that the president should be allowed to complete his current term and then make a graceful exit.

It was in a surprised move on Tuesday night, that the country’s military generals took control of the country, but insisting that “this is not a coup”. 

Many of the military leaders fought with Mugabe in the independence struggle and are in fact his allies, who some claim, helped to keep him in power for the past three decades.

However, recent developments and the firing of his vice president, who some had seen as his natural successor, seemed to have led to the military actions.

This is especially so, given that there were signs that Mugabe was already positioning his wife, Grace, to take on the new leadership, ahead of the vice president, who appears to have strong ties with the military leaders. 

Vice PresidentEmmerson Mnangagwa fled the country after his dismissal, but it is now being alleged that he and the military, since last year, along with certain opposition figures, were planning a “post Mugabe” future, when the president either retired or died in office.

While the president and his family are being confined to their homes, Mugabe is reported to have assured his ally, South African President, Jacob Zuma, that he is fine. 

The South African government has already dispatched ministers to Zimbabwe to meet with relevant officials, including the military leaders and Mugabe, as a measure of finding a timely and peaceful resolution.

The military has explained that, “We wish to make this abundantly clear: This is not a military takeover of government.”

Maj. Gen. SB Moyo said during a television broadcast, that the takeover was temporary and designed to remove “criminals” surrounding Mugabe and “pacify a degenerating political, social and economic situation.”

Mugabe however, has not made any public statements since the takeover.

Other reports have indicated that quiet talks are ongoing between the military, some opposition politicians, civil society and top figures in the ruling ZANU-PF party, to establish a transition government, before eventually moving to what some wish would be free and fair elections.

Most foreign governments, including the US, have been monitoring the situation and calling for calm and peaceful return to democratic civilian rule.

A well-known and respected priest is also said to be leading mediation efforts between the military and Mugabe.

Despite the takeover, there has been no violence and life in the country appears to be back to normal with transportation running, businesses operating and people feeling a sense of hope that perhaps a new era could be in the making.


Downtown-Zimb-1




blog comments powered by Disqus

TOP HEADLINES

  • Grenada revising laptop initiative for schools ST GEORGE'S, Grenada (CMC) — The Grenada government says it has learnt from the mistakes made by other Caribbean countries in the implementation of laptops and tablet to students. ...
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3

Login