Posted On: Thursday, 12 July 2012
|< Prev||Next >|
HAVANA, Cuba, July 12, CMC – The number of confirmed cholera cases in Cuba has risen from 85 to 110, an increase of 25 from the 85 announced the day before, health officials here have said.
Epidemiologist Ana Maria Batista on Wednesday advised residents of the southeastern province of Granma, the worst-hit area, to avoid travelling.
She said general cases of diarrhoea and vomiting - key symptoms of the infectious intestinal disease - rose by 308 to 4,415 and those hospitalised with similar symptoms dropped from 112 to 81.
The Cuban government has officially confirmed only three cholera deaths, claiming the water-borne disease has turned up in only a few cases outside its focus in Granma province. But independent Cuban journalists and dissidents have reported five to 15 dead.
Iran says U.S. extension of sanctions act violates nuclear deal Iran threatened on Friday to retaliate against the U.S. Senate's vote to extend the Iran Sanctions Act (ISA) for 10 years, saying it violated last year's deal with six major powers that curbed its nuclear...